Saturday, April 7, 2012

Rog #2

It's time for a rog update!

I just completed week 5 of my training.

This week was good and bad. Mostly good but a teeny tiny relapse of bad. First the bad: I was supposed to run on Monday AND Tuesday, but didn't. (Trust me it is easy to justify NOT running.) The GOOD news is I just bumped those runs up to Thursday and Friday, the two days I normally have off. My runs this week were as follows: Wednesday 6 miles, Thursday 5 miles, Friday 2 miles.......and today.........are you ready for this........12 MILES. Don't even ask how or why. Wanna know the best part about it? I didn't even want to cry. In fact, I felt pretty dang good. It was the best long run I've had. Maybe it was the chicken heart I ate at Rodizio's last night........had me an extra heart pumpin in my gut.

Now, about the other three weeks of my training. The only run that specifically stands out to me was last Saturday. I was scheduled for 10 miles.

My day went something like this: I woke up and went to my Purple People Eater soccer team practice deciding that I would just run later.

First mistake: Saying I will run later.

At the end of our practice we decided to run "jelly legs" which are basically really sucky ladders. We did about 4 sets of them which I figured equated about a mile...a mile and a half if I was lucky. Then around 6:25 PM I still hadn't gone running, and I decided since it was SUPER windy I would try and run 9 miles on the treadmill at the gym.

Second mistake: The gym closes at 7 on Saturdays. I FORGOT.

So I get there and run 2.25 miles on the treadmill. Leaving the gym I think, "CRAP. I still needa run 6.75 miles outside."

Mistake number 3: I should have realized my mental state at this point--which was not wanting to run AT ALL.

As I ran on the Kaysville Rotary Walkway.....the wind RELENTLESSLY blew against me. In my mind I kept quoting the scripture Helaman 5:12 "...that when the Devil shall send forth his mighty wind, yea his shafts in the whirlwind...." I am serious. That wind was from the devil. My mental state, mixed with devil wind, and a little bit (a lot) of emotional hormones caused me to CRY. I literally started sobbing. (And for future reference, crying while you run causes your throat to close which restricts air flow.) It was one of the worst feelings of my life. I felt so helpless. I wanted to sit on that asphalt trail and cry my pathetic eyes out. Somehow I kept going though. I stopped boobing and just ran. It sucked. And I wish I could say that all of the sudden this happy and hopeful feeling came over me..........but it didn't. It never came.

The best part about that run? When it was over. I finished 6.25 miles running through wind from hell. (dramatic much? nah.)

On a more positive note...........It's Easter tomorrow. I love Easter. Because Easter means spring, and warmth and new life. Also it means the Easter bunny. When you're a college grad the Easter bunny still comes to your house. I still leave him a note telling him to hide my basket the hardest. Yeah, whatever. It's awesome.

4 comments:

Sleepy Turtle Beads said...

Purple People Eater Practice, what the (the question mark on this comp doesnt work or I would be using it profusely.) Nice job graduating from college, wow I hadnt realized you did that. WOW!

Sleepy Turtle Beads said...

That was Marianne.

Jess and Kip said...

Go Britt! You are awesome and you make me smile. Thanks for my humor for the day!

Sharlene and Matt said...

GOOD JOB!! You are such a good runner! Even if it does make you cry once in a while. We need to hang out. SOON.