Sunday, January 16, 2011

I'm FREEEEE!

I just thought'd I'd let you all know that....(are you ready for this? Brace yourselves...) I have officially DELETED MY FACEBOOK! I AM FREEEEEEEEEEEE.

Mark Zuckerberg and his little Facebook makin buddies make this a very hard thing to do I'll have you know. I mean, I went to my profile account settings, privacy settings and everything in between and found nothing. I finally went to the help center and asked how I can PERMANENTLY delete my account. And of course it came up with how to deactivate my account (which I have done on several occasions) but I wanted the real deal. Then at the end in smaller print it had a small little link where you can "submit" your account to be permanently deleted. I clicked it. They asked me for my password and had me do one of those little word scrambler things. then I paused. Stared at the screen for a good minute. then kept asking myself...okay do I really want to do this (I acted like this was a decision of life or death....geeze!) and then I clicked "okay."

Oh but then guess what? They came up with a little message saying something like: you're account has been submitted to be deleted permanently. You have 14 days until all your saved data will be removed. So if you sign in to your account within the next 14 days you can choose to cancel your submission.
I'm tellin you...they do everything they can to get you to stay!

Now, don't get me wrong...I'm not a complete Facebook hater....but let me just show you my list of all the things I hate about Facebook:
  • I spend wayyyy too much time on it.
  • It has become a socially acceptable way of stalking people. creepy.
  • For some it is a contest to see who can have the most friends and a contest of pictures showing all the cool things they have done, places they've, gone, people they've met, parties they've gone to, blah blah blah.
  • It has seriously impacted and, dare I say, destroyed, communication. I mean who talks on the phone when you can post on someone's "wall."
  • I have heard more than once the phrase that friendships are only "official" if you are friends on facebook.
Now please don't get me wrong....once again, Facebook can be very useful and good for keeping in touch with family and friends. Maybe I am just bitter because it sucks up all my time and then I feel guilty for doing absolutely nothing productive for over an hour. pathetic I know.

Now maybe I can spend my time with something worthwhile...perhaps, homework? We'll see about that one.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Brit, you're my hero! I can't bring myself to do it. I'm just way into the creeping. Maybe someday? Way to be!

Christy said...

I'm devastated....BUT! I'll just transfer all my facebook love over to this little blog I guess :)

Camille said...

I wondered why I had one less "friend" just kidding I don't even look at that!I want to delete mine too, they are for sure a waste of time. What did we do before Facebook? I guess I just keep it to see what the girls post. I will see you on Sunday!